[SciPy-User] R vs Python for simple interactive data analysis

Christopher Jordan-Squire cjordan1@uw....
Sat Aug 27 13:19:24 CDT 2011

Hi--I've been a moderately heavy R user for the past two years, so
about a month ago I took an (abbreviated) version of a simple data
analysis I did in R and tried to rewrite as much of it as possible,
line by line, into python using numpy and statsmodels. I didn't use
pandas, and I can't comment on how much it might have simplified
things.

This comparison might be useful to some people, so I stuck it up on a
github repo. My overall impression is that R is much stronger for
interactive data analysis. Click on the link for more details why,
which are summarized in the README file.

https://github.com/chrisjordansquire/r_vs_py

The code examples should run out of the box with no downloads (other
than R, Python, numpy, scipy, and statsmodels) required.

-Chris Jordan-Squire