[SciPy-User] R vs Python for simple interactive data analysis

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Sat Aug 27 13:27:39 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Christopher Jordan-Squire
<cjordan1@uw.edu> wrote:
> Hi--I've been a moderately heavy R user for the past two years, so
> about a month ago I took an (abbreviated) version of a simple data
> analysis I did in R and tried to rewrite as much of it as possible,
> line by line, into python using numpy and statsmodels. I didn't use
> pandas, and I can't comment on how much it might have simplified
> things.
>
> This comparison might be useful to some people, so I stuck it up on a
> github repo. My overall impression is that R is much stronger for
> interactive data analysis. Click on the link for more details why,
> which are summarized in the README file.
>
> https://github.com/chrisjordansquire/r_vs_py
>
> The code examples should run out of the box with no downloads (other
> than R, Python, numpy, scipy, and statsmodels) required.

Thank you very much for doing that - it's a very useful exercise.  I
hope we can make use of it to discuss how to get better, in the true
spirit of:

Confront the Brutal Facts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_to_Great

See you,