[SciPy-User] R vs Python for simple interactive data analysis

Jason Grout jason-sage@creativetrax....
Sat Aug 27 16:03:43 CDT 2011

On 8/27/11 1:19 PM, Christopher Jordan-Squire wrote:
> This comparison might be useful to some people, so I stuck it up on a
> github repo. My overall impression is that R is much stronger for
> interactive data analysis. Click on the link for more details why,
> which are summarized in the README file.

 From the README:

"In fact, using Python without the IPython qtconsole is practically
impossible for this sort of cut and paste, interactive analysis.
The shell IPython doesn't allow it because it automatically adds
whitespace on multiline bits of code, breaking pre-formatted code's
alignment. Cutting and pasting works for the standard python shell,
but then you lose all the advantages of IPython."

You might use %cpaste in the ipython normal shell to paste without it
automatically inserting spaces:

In [5]: %cpaste
Pasting code; enter '--' alone on the line to stop.
:if 1>0:
:    print 'hi'
:--
hi