[SciPy-User] R vs Python for simple interactive data analysis

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Aug 27 17:02:28 CDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 16:03, Jason Grout <jason-sage@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 8/27/11 1:19 PM, Christopher Jordan-Squire wrote:
>> This comparison might be useful to some people, so I stuck it up on a
>> github repo. My overall impression is that R is much stronger for
>> interactive data analysis. Click on the link for more details why,
>> which are summarized in the README file.
>
>  From the README:
>
> "In fact, using Python without the IPython qtconsole is practically
> impossible for this sort of cut and paste, interactive analysis.
> The shell IPython doesn't allow it because it automatically adds
> whitespace on multiline bits of code, breaking pre-formatted code's
> alignment. Cutting and pasting works for the standard python shell,
> but then you lose all the advantages of IPython."
>

> You might use %cpaste in the ipython normal shell to paste without it
> automatically inserting spaces:
>
> In [5]: %cpaste
> Pasting code; enter '--' alone on the line to stop.
> :if 1>0:
> :    print 'hi'
> :--
> hi

Or even just %paste!

|1> %paste?
Type:       Magic function
Base Class: <type 'instancemethod'>
String Form:<bound method TerminalInteractiveShell.magic_paste of
<IPython.frontend.terminal.interactiveshell.TerminalInteractiveShell
object at 0x1528770>>
Namespace:  IPython internal
File:       /Users/rkern/git/ipython/IPython/frontend/terminal/interactiveshell.py
Definition: %paste(self, parameter_s='')
Docstring:
Paste & execute a pre-formatted code block from clipboard.

The text is pulled directly from the clipboard without user
intervention and printed back on the screen before execution (unless
the -q flag is given to force quiet mode).

The block is dedented prior to execution to enable execution of method
definitions. '>' and '+' characters at the beginning of a line are
ignored, to allow pasting directly from e-mails, diff files and
doctests (the '...' continuation prompt is also stripped).  The
executed block is also assigned to variable named 'pasted_block' for
later editing with '%edit pasted_block'.

You can also pass a variable name as an argument, e.g. '%paste foo'.
This assigns the pasted block to variable 'foo' as string, without
dedenting or executing it (preceding >>> and + is still stripped)

-------

  -r: re-executes the block previously entered by cpaste.

  -q: quiet mode: do not echo the pasted text back to the terminal.

IPython statements (magics, shell escapes) are not supported (yet).

See also
--------
cpaste: manually paste code into terminal until you mark its end.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco