[SciPy-User] Error when building scipy.0.9.0 - "f951: undefined symbol: mpfr_get_z_exp"

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Aug 29 06:20:17 CDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Xiong Deng <dbigbear@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just find out that the gcc-4.7 is downloaded as a binary distri. I did not
> compile gcc-4.7 myself...

Then the binary is buggy or not adapted to your platform.

> The gcc included on my system is gcc 3.4.5 and there seems no gfortran built
> on it (However there is a g77 on it, which cause problems while building
> numpy/scipy....).

You should be able to build numpy and scipy with g77. You should not
try mixing compiler versions unlesss you are willing to spend quite
some time debugging subtle mismatches issues.

>..In addition, there are not mpc, mpfr, gmp on it with gcc
> 3.4.5, so I need a new gcc with gfortran, mpc ,mpfr ,gmp, which is necessay
> for numpy/scipy....

The usual way to do this is to first build mpfr and gmp with whatever
compiler you have (gcc 3.4.5 here), and then build the new version of
gcc and gfortran. But again, you would be better just using the
compilers you have on your machine.

cheers,

David