[SciPy-User] Calculation of weights depending on area

Andreas H. lists@hilboll...
Tue Aug 30 05:01:06 CDT 2011

Hi,

again a question coming from analysis of geodata. Say, I have 3d
(lat/lon/z) data, in the easiest case on a rectangular grid. Now I would
like to re-grid these data to a new (again rectangular, in the simplest
case) grid by calculating the volume-weighted mean of the original grid.

So for each cell of the new grid, the algorithm should take the
volume-weighted average of those grid cells from the first grid which "are
part of" the new cell.

Is there any algorithm in SciPy to do this? If not, do you have any
suggestion on where to start? Perhaps there's some library from a more
low-level language that could be wrapped?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Andreas.