[SciPy-User] OT warning! Re: ANN: Spyder v2.0.8

Thu Mar 3 16:39:21 CST 2011

On 3/3/11 12:51 PM, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 2:31 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>> four spaces is a well established standard
>
> ... for the standard library.  Individual projects
> set their own standards.

OK -- PEP 8 is only _official_ for the standard library, but if you
define "standard" as "the way most people do it", then four spaces is it.

>  (Unfortunately, PEP 8 came
> down on the wrong side of tabs vs. spaces.)

clearly debatable, but my point is that it is a good idea for all
projects to use the same conventions, and the ONLY one that makes any
sense at this point in that context is four spaces.

Pythons "there should be only one obvious way to do it" philosophy
applies here.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov