[SciPy-User] help stats module to determine the type of distribution

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Mar 4 13:36:05 CST 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM, vineeth <vineethrakesh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking forward to determine the type of distribution my data set
> follows. Is there any way in stats module of python to do this kind of
> operation? or is there any round about way?

It`s not yet in scipy. I have an experimental script in
scikits.statsmodels, but James was working on this more recently,
http://code.google.com/p/pythonequations/ , who posted his version to
the mailing list a while ago.

How does your data look like, how many observations, and does the
histogram have some observable pattern?
For some distribution the fit method of the scipy.stats distributions
works well, and you can use kolmogorov-smirnov, scipy.stats.kstest as
a distance measure to see which one fits best.

Josef