[SciPy-User] ImportError: *.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Wed Nov 2 10:51:56 CDT 2011

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Pundurs, Mark <mark.pundurs@navteq.com> wrote:
> I want to use the function stats.norm.isf, but no matter how I try to import it I end up with the error "ImportError: <libname>.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". The .so files cited do exist in /usr/lib (as symbolic links to other .so files that also exist in that directory). From what I've read, that's where they're supposed to be - but I think the Python installation is in a nonstandard location. Is that the problem? How can I work around it?

I believe RHEL 4 uses g77 as its default fortran compiler, so you have
a custom gfortran build somewhere, am I right ?

If so, you need to add the paths where libgfortran.so and liblapack.so
are to the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Given that scipy has
been built (by someone else for you ?), you may want to ask them about
it for the exact locations of those libraries.

cheers,

David