[SciPy-User] ImportError: *.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Pundurs, Mark mark.pundurs@navteq....
Wed Nov 2 12:58:45 CDT 2011

Thanks, David! How do I (a Linux newbie) add paths to environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:51:56 +0000
From: David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Pundurs, Mark <mark.pundurs@navteq.com> wrote:
> I want to use the function stats.norm.isf, but no matter how I try to import it I end up with the error "ImportError: <libname>.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". The .so files cited do exist in /usr/lib (as symbolic links to other .so files that also exist in that directory). From what I've read, that's where they're supposed to be - but I think the Python installation is in a nonstandard location. Is that the problem? How can I work around it?

I believe RHEL 4 uses g77 as its default fortran compiler, so you have
a custom gfortran build somewhere, am I right ?

If so, you need to add the paths where libgfortran.so and liblapack.so
are to the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Given that scipy has
been built (by someone else for you ?), you may want to ask them about
it for the exact locations of those libraries.

cheers,

David

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.