[SciPy-User] MODIS data and true-color plotting

Sun Nov 13 14:35:07 CST 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello groups,
>
> I have two questions about working with MODIS data.
>
> 1-) Is there any light Pythonic HDF-EOS wrapper to handle HDF-EOS data
> other than PyNIO [http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Nio.shtml] Although, I have
> managed to install that package from its source, it took me many hours to
> figure out all the installation quirks. Something simpler to build and
> mainly for HDFEOS data??
>
> 2-) Another similar question: Has anybody attempted to create true-color
> MODIS images (like the ones shown at [
> http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/]) in Python? So far, I have
> seen one clear tutorial [
> ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/IMAPP/MODIS/TrueColor/] to create natural
> color images, but uses ms2gt [http://nsidc.org/data/modis/ms2gt/], NDVI
> and IDL. Except the reflectance correction via NDVI, ms2gt and IDL parts
> seem to be implemented in Python.
>
> Till now, I have some progress combining GOES imagery with aircraft data.
> My next task is to combine MODIS data with aircraft and radar data. I would
> be happy to get some guidance and code support if there is any previous
> work been done using Python.

It's kind of a pain, no? I ended up using the java swath tool and a script.
I'm not proud of it, but I've attached it in case you find parts of it is
useful. I hope it was a working version of the script ;) The swath tool
omits some of the useful projections.

Chuck