[SciPy-User] MODIS data and true-color plotting

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Sun Nov 13 18:20:12 CST 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com
> wrote:

>> I'll take a look, I think I still have both the geolocation file and the
> data file somewhere, but they are rather large so it might be easier if you
> just download the files from the NASA sight once I can recall exactly where
> that was. You need both for the level 2 products in order to disentangle
> the overlapping push broom swaths and the viewing geometry and interpolate
> the result for the projection. It's a non trivial problem that I left to
> the swath tool. Some of the other tools are supposed to be able to do that
> also, but the documentation wasn't good enough that I wanted to pursue that
> line. Also, installing the swath tool on linux leaves some needed info in
> the .bash_profile file that you might want to move to .bashrc, I don't know
> how things work on windows. I think the higher level data products are
> easier to deal with.
>
> I wasn't overjoyed with the state of the NASA public software ;)
>
> Chuck

Thanks. One thing that is still not clear in my mind is the use of ms2gt or
any other swath 2 grid converters (java tools for your example): are these
mandatory tools to handle MODIS data? I understand that ms2gt does map
projection specialized for MODIS data. So far so good. But what does it
mean to plot already projected data in Basemap? What is the solution to
this problem? Somehow the IDL True Color tutorial that I provided
originally gives me guidance to construct the RGB array, but from that
point onward I am not sure how to plot that data in basemap with/without
using ms2gt. Any pointers for this map plotting?

--
Gökhan