[SciPy-User] MODIS data and true-color plotting

Sun Nov 13 18:39:46 CST 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> I'll take a look, I think I still have both the geolocation file and the
>> data file somewhere, but they are rather large so it might be easier if you
>> just download the files from the NASA sight once I can recall exactly where
>> that was. You need both for the level 2 products in order to disentangle
>> the overlapping push broom swaths and the viewing geometry and interpolate
>> the result for the projection. It's a non trivial problem that I left to
>> the swath tool. Some of the other tools are supposed to be able to do that
>> also, but the documentation wasn't good enough that I wanted to pursue that
>> line. Also, installing the swath tool on linux leaves some needed info in
>> the .bash_profile file that you might want to move to .bashrc, I don't know
>> how things work on windows. I think the higher level data products are
>> easier to deal with.
>>
>> I wasn't overjoyed with the state of the NASA public software ;)
>>
>> Chuck
>>

> Thanks. One thing that is still not clear in my mind is the use of ms2gt
> or any other swath 2 grid converters (java tools for your example): are
> these mandatory tools to handle MODIS data? I understand that ms2gt does
> map projection specialized for MODIS data. So far so good. But what does it
> mean to plot already projected data in Basemap? What is the solution to
> this problem? Somehow the IDL True Color tutorial that I provided
> originally gives me guidance to construct the RGB array, but from that
> point onward I am not sure how to plot that data in basemap with/without
> using ms2gt. Any pointers for this map plotting?

You need to use the same projection as basemap and I don't know what that
is or what ancillary data is needed, matplotlib might be a better list for
that. There are a ton of available projections in the swath tool, except
the orthographic one that I wanted ;) The ms2gt tool is new to me, looks
like it might be quite useful and easier to use than swath2grid.

Chuck