[SciPy-User] Optimization, Matlab/Octave and Duplication

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000@yahoo....
Mon Nov 21 06:18:54 CST 2011

From: Benedikt Riedel <briedel@wisc.edu>

To: SciPy Users List <scipy-user@scipy.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:37 PM
Subject: Re: [SciPy-User] Optimization, Matlab/Octave and Duplication

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 18:42, Felipe Schneider

[cut]

> 2. Is there anything similar to Matlab's Toolboxes or Octave's
> Octave-Forge? Or is it all a huge pack?

Have you looked at Sage? It is basically Mathematica, but with Numpy,
etc, as a backend.

http://www.sagemath.org/

---------

I will add a second recommendation to SAGE.  It's a big package, but I've never had trouble installing it.  It contains a *lot* of various libraries.  Many on symbolic math (like Mathematica), but a lot of Python modules, too, including ctypes and Cython which are good for speeding up python functions, and plotting modules.  It's a self contained package.  It has a whole Python interpreter in it.  Nothing else to install.

-- Lou Pecora, my views are my own.