[SciPy-User] Help installing scipy

Barris, Wes Wes.Barris@cobb-vantress....
Mon Nov 28 11:19:30 CST 2011

I have a new CentOS 6 (64-bit) system.  It is running the latest
rpm version of python:

python-2.6.5-3.el6_0.2.x86_64

I have also installed numpy:

rpm -qa | fgrep numpy
numpy-1.3.0-6.2.el6.x86_64

I have downloaded the latest software source of scipy and am
trying to install it.  When I run the first command I get an error:

python setup.py build
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 196, in <module>
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 147, in setup_package
    from numpy.distutils.core import setup
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

I don't know anything about python so I am not sure what is supposed
to provide this module or where to look for it.

python -c 'from numpy.f2py.diagnose import run; run()'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named f2py.diagnose

python -c 'import os,sys;print os.name,sys.platform'
posix linux2

uname -a
Linux cvirdlux01.tyson.com 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 27 19:49:27 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
Wes Barris

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, then you have received this email in error and any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of your unintended receipt by reply and then delete this email and your reply. Cobb-Vantress, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates will not be held liable to any person resulting from the unintended or unauthorized use of any information contained in this email or as a result of any additions or deletions of information originally contained in this email.