[SciPy-User] In which numpy modules should MKL be better then ATLAS

Klonuo Umom klonuo@gmail....
Sat Oct 1 04:55:51 CDT 2011

I had a chance to test this sample on different setups on same PC:

import numpy as np
A=np.ones((1000,1000))
B=np.ones((1000,1000))
%timeit np.dot(A, B)

because of OS reinstalling.

1x = ATLAS on Linux (reference speed)
2x = MKL with GNU compilers on Linux
2x = MKL with Intel compilers on Windows 7
30x = bare numpy

I didn't plan to do this so I didn't test additional calculations, and I was
using latest version to date for all products.

On Internet I usually find that MKL should outperform ATLAS. I'm curious
what would linalg module testing give, but as said I didn't test it. So in
which modules should user expect impact of MKL over ATLAS? In matrix dot
product obviously not.