[SciPy-User] Fitting a model to an image to recover the position

Mon Oct 3 02:50:06 CDT 2011

It seems to me that you have what is known as a registration problem. It
has many local minima and is a nasty optimization problem. I am not an
expert in registration, but I suggest that you try a multi-scale approach
if your angles and translations are large: downsample by a large factor
the two images (target and data), fit these, and use the rotation and
translation parameters learned to initialize less downsampled fits.
Iterate a few times for different values of downsampling. This helps
avoiding the local minima.

All the registration strategies are very dependant on the kind of data
that you have. Registration is more of an art than a science.

Gaël