[SciPy-User] computing surface gradients using mayavi mlab

Fri Oct 7 09:25:07 CDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 01:43:17PM +0000, Iara Pereira wrote:
> I was wondering, since mayavi uses some kind of interpolation method to
> represent the field between mesh nods, if it is possible to extract the
> derivatives on each cell from the vtk object.

I am not sure what you are looking for: what are these derivatives (what
is derived as a function of want)?

If you have a volumetric data set (which a mesh isn't), you can use the
VTK interpolation engine with mlab.pipeline.probe_data
http://github.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/auto/mlab_pipeline_data.html#mayavi.tools.pipeline.probe_data

See also:
http://github.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/data.html#retrieving-the-data-from-mayavi-pipelines

HTH,