[SciPy-User] Image Enhancing in Python

Tom Dimiduk tdimiduk@physics.harvard....
Fri Oct 7 10:28:08 CDT 2011

That shouldn't be too hard.  When I work with images I use PIL and
scipy.  If you have those two libraries installed, this code should do
what I think you want (if I am interpreting what you want correctly).  I
have not actually tested this code, so there may be a few bugs, but it
should get you the right idea.

Tom

---
# this loads the image as an NxMx3 array with the color chanels in the
# third direction
import numpy as np
import Image
from scipy.misc.pilutil import fromimage
im = Image.open(filename)
im = fromimage(im).astype('d')

# and here we do the channel arithmetic you like
red = im[...,0]
gray = im[...,1] + im[...,2]
# red and gray are now NxM images which have the data you want

# This is now two images, if you want it to be 1 you could use vstack
# to put them back together into a single image, I would suggest then
# putting the "gray" value in twice so that it is an NxMx3 image again
# as things will expect.
composite = np.vstack((red, gray, gray))