[SciPy-User] circular statistic, anybody?

Travis Oliphant oliphant@enthought....
Sun Oct 16 10:25:28 CDT 2011

The functions are fairly straightforward implementations of the concepts discussed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_statistics

The range [low,high] is assumed to be periodic and linearly mapable to [0, 2*pi].     These numbers are then interpreted as angles, converted to complex numbers on the unit circle and the standard mean of the complex number computed.

The angle of this mean-value complex number is the returned mean (mapped back to the range [low, high])
The magnitude of this mean-value complex number is used to calculate the variance (scaled by the mapping coefficient).

More tests and a link to the wiki-pedia article would be useful in the documentation.

I am not familiar with the CircStats package in R but it looks to have nice specialization to particular domains where circular statistics are relevant (time periods, and angles).

Thanks,

-Travis