[SciPy-User] Projecting volumes down to 2D

Chris Weisiger cweisiger@msg.ucsf....
Thu Sep 1 10:15:11 CDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke@uci.edu> wrote:

> This looks like "maximum intensity projection" visualization
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_intensity_projection>. MIP can be
> efficiently implemented using OpenGL by blending together multiple
> slices, oriented perpendicular to the projection direction, through a 3D
> texture (xyz data). Also consider VTK's vtkVolumeRayCastMIPFunction class.

Interesting, and I didn't know that OpenGL could do that. However, I'd
already considered and rejected using 3D textures for the application
as a whole, because my image data can be so large -- upwards of
512x512x60 for a single timepoint, and not only can there be many
timepoints, but users can also request projections through time. So we
could be talking gigabytes of texture data here. Currently this
program runs well on my rather underpowered laptop, and I'd like to
keep things that way if possible.

I should still familiarize myself with OpenGL and 3D textures, if for
no other reason than to know when things are possible to do with them.

-Chris