[SciPy-User] scipy.optimize named argument inconsistency

Denis Laxalde dlaxalde@gmail....
Fri Sep 2 13:31:46 CDT 2011

Hi,

(I'm resurrecting an old post.)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:54:39 +0800, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Joon Ro <joonpyro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just found that for some functions such as fmin_bfgs, the argument name
> > for the objective function to be minimized is f, and for others such as
> > fmin, it is func.
> > I was wondering if this was intended, because I think it would be better to
> > have consistent argument names across those functions.
> >

> It's unlikely that that was intentional. A patch would be welcome. "func"
> looks better to me than "f" or "F".

There are still several inconsistencies in input or output of functions
in the optimize package. For instance, for input parameters the Jacobian
is sometimes name 'fprime' or 'Dfun', tolerances can be 'xtol' or
'x_tol', etc. Outputs might be returned in a different order, e.g.,
fsolve returns 'x, infodict, ier, mesg' whereas leastsq returns 'x,
cov_x, infodict, mesg, ier'. Some functions make use of the infodict
output whereas some return the same data individually. etc.

If you still believe (as I do) that consistency of optimize
functions should be improved, I can work on it. Let me know.

--
Denis