[SciPy-User] scipy central comments

Kevin Dunn kgdunn@gmail....
Mon Sep 5 19:40:59 CDT 2011

Hi everyone, SciPy Central maintainer here - sorry for the slow reply.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 19:57, Collin Stocks <collinstocks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also in favour of a comments system.

This is been bumped on the priority list. Django, which is used for
SciPy Central, has a built-in commenting system. I will look at
integrating it in the next while (just a bit busy at work with other
things, but will get to it soon).

My current highest priority is to complete library submissions, which
are uploaded via a ZIP file. This will allow visitors to see the
contents of the library by clicking on the file names (kind of like
browsing a repo on GitHub).

The next highest priority is commenting. So if you've got any requests
for how commenting should look and behave:
https://github.com/kgdunn/SciPyCentral/issues/111

> On 09/05/2011 03:39 AM, Michael Klitgaard wrote:
>> Would it be possible to include data files on SciPy-Central?

Absolutely. I've already got some Django code for this on my company's
site (shameless plug: http://datasets.connectmv.com).

By the way, does SciPy/NumPy have a way to load data from a URL like R?

I've looked for this but can't seem to find anything on it. In R it is
so nice to be able to say to someone:
data = read.table('http://datasets.connectmv.com/file/ammonia.csv')

rather that doing a two step: download and load.

>> In this case the file 'ct.raw'. I believe it would improve the quality
>> of the program to include the sample_data.
>>
>> This could perhaps make scipy central evem more usefull than other
>> code sharing sites.

Thanks for the idea!

>> Sincerely
>> Michael
>>

> The problem I see with data files is that they could be potentially
> large. There may be a way around the problems associated with this, though.

Bandwidth on my host shouldn't be an issue. Right now I use less than
0.5% of my monthly 1200 Gb allocation, so there's plenty of room to
grow.

> Maybe I am a bit naive, but I can't think of many common circumstances
> where a code fragment or program which is potentially useful to many
> people would be more helpful by providing a data file, since most people
> who would find said code useful would already have access to their own
> data set.
>
> I do, however, see the benefit of having some set of sample data on
> SciPy-Central, but perhaps this data set should be generic in that many
> different code contributions could reference it in a useful way.

Agreed. Which is why I was asking about loading data from a URL above.