[SciPy-User] Arbitrary max-intensity projection

Chris Weisiger cweisiger@msg.ucsf....
Thu Sep 8 17:29:12 CDT 2011

I have a 3D volume of image data. I want to do a max-intensity
projection of that data along an arbitrary axis (that is, not
necessarily orthogonal). For example, projecting along the axis <1, 0,
.5> would generate results like looking at the data a bit from above.
Basically we're faking 3D views of our data.

OpenGL 3D textures don't work due to the size of the image data in
question (e.g. 512x512x60). Someone suggested reimplementing
Amanatides & Woo, which is a fairly simple voxel raytracer. However,
that doesn't mean it's trivial to implement, and I'd rather not
reinvent and optimize the wheel if at all possible. Does anyone have
any suggestions for known solutions to this problem?

-Chris