[SciPy-User] partial derivatives of a bivariate spline

Mon Sep 19 14:20:17 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Nils Wagner
<nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart.de>wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:50:23 +0200
>  Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Nils Wagner
> > <nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart.de>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> How can I compute the partial derivatives of a bivariate
> >> spline in scipy ?
> >>

> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.interpolate.bisplev.html
>
> AFAIK, bisplev and bisplrep correspond to the old FITPACK
> wrapper.
> I would like to use
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.interpolate.BivariateSpline.html#scipy.interpolate.BivariateSpline
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.interpolate.LSQBivariateSpline.html#scipy.interpolate.LSQBivariateSpline
>
> Looks like BivariateSpline forgot to grow a derivatives() method,
UnivariateSpline does have one. This would be a useful addition. Could you
open a feature request for it? Or perhaps even a pull request:)

To get something done now, you should be able to just pass the tck attribute
of BivariateSpline to bisplev I think.

Cheers,
Ralf