[SciPy-User] Can't build numpy 1.6.1 on Ubuntu 11.10

Klonuo Umom klonuo@gmail....
Wed Sep 28 19:36:38 CDT 2011

Thanks for your reply Ralf

Problem seem perhaps more general and not related to numpy. I build numpy
with same MKL and same Intel compilers on same computer but on Ubuntu 11.04.
Also `gcc` was updated couple of times in the meantime, if that can have any
relevance.
I did try to change `site.cfg` and set different flags in numpy sources for
Intel compiler, before I mailed, but without success.

About Instructions you mention, latest article is from Nov 2010 which
suggests building ATLAS with link to tarfile:

../configure -b 64 -Fa alg -fPIC --with-netlib-lapack-tarfile=<path to
lapack.tgz>

And this was exactly my problem as I followed that article. Later as I
didn't solve ICC issue I found another instruction suggesting that LAPACK
first be build (with setting correct make.inc) then include in ATLAS
configure as library and not tarfile. Result was that previously
missing `libf77blas.a`
was now created. That's also mentioned, as I found later, in older 2008
article on same page. Why 2010 article suggests including bare tarfile
instead created library, don't know, but perhaps it works like that on some
machines.

Cheers

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Klonuo Umom <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I build numpy w/o ATLAS or MKL, but speed comparison (~10 times slower
depending on code) made me remove it and concentrate on the most boring part
I wanted to avoid: building numpy with ATLAS or MKL
>> I started with ATLAS, but just couldn't compile and error about missing
`libf77blas.a` library which somehow wasn't created by build process. Google
didn't give me pointers. As I couldn't do it with ATLAS, I step in Intel
solution:

> The instructions for building with Intel MKL at
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux have just been updated. Does
that help?