[SciPy-User] Rician distributions lacks sigma parameter

Morten Kjeldgaard mok@bioxray...
Wed Apr 4 02:00:49 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am a new reader of this list, please forgive me if this issue has
already discussed.

I have been wanting to use the rician distribution (stats.rice) to
analyze some data, but it seems that the implementation in scipy does
not take the distribution's sigma parameter into account; rather, it
has been set to 1.0. The wikipedia article shows the traditional
formulation of the rician distribution [0].

I understand that some distributions, e.g. stats.norm, use the scale
parameter to define std, but this does not seem to be the case with
stats.rice.

Any ideas on how to get around this, without actually modifying
distribution.py? I have no experience with the internals of scipy, and
wouldn't know how to modify it correctly.

Cheers,
Morten

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_distribution