[SciPy-User] inverting pdist.

srean srean.list@gmail....
Wed Apr 18 23:52:49 CDT 2012

I lost you on your description about the index of the largest
distance. If what you are looking for is that given all pairwise
distance ab, ac, ad, bc, bd, cd to find the coordinates of a,b,c and
d, then the problem you are looking for is multidimensional scaling
(MDS). You will get lots of hits if you search for it. In general it
does not have a unique solution. On the other hand if you had all
pairs of dot products (or similarities) you can obtain the coordinates
by an eigen decomposition of the pairwise dot product matrix.