[SciPy-User] Matrix-free version of connected_components

Per Nielsen evilper@gmail....
Wed Aug 1 07:15:51 CDT 2012

Hi all,

I work with large sparse matrices which consists of several disconnected
components and I only need one of these. So far I have succesfully been
using scipy.sparse.csgraph.connected_components to dig out the component I
needed. This algorithm does however require the entire sparse matrix as
input, which sometimes is too large to fit in memory.

For this reason I wondered whether there existed a matrix-free version
of connected_components, or another algorithm achieving the same, where I
would only need to provide a function calculating the sparse matrix-vector
product.

Any help, hints, or information would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Per