[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] Avoiding inner for loops

mdekauwe mdekauwe@gmail....
Sun Aug 19 02:56:19 CDT 2012

Hi,

I need to avoid (at least) two inner for loops in what I am trying to do
otherwise my processing takes forever. What is the best way to transfer what
I am doing into a more "numpy way"? Essentially I am trying to call a model
again for various different parameter combinations. The example is
fictional, by the grid_size would ideally grow > 500 and by doing so the
processing speed becomes very slow the way I have set things up..

thanks.

example.

import numpy as np

def fake_model(data1, data2, p1, p2, p3):
    """ complete nonsense """
    return data1 + data2 * p1 * p2 * p3

data1 = np.random.rand(10) # the size of this arrays varies might be 10
might be 15 etc
data2 = np.random.rand(10) # the size of this arrays varies might be 10
might be 15 etc
obs = np.random.rand(10) # the size of this arrays varies might be 10 might
be 15 etc

grid_size = 10 # Ideally this would be a large number
param1 = np.linspace(5.0, 350, grid_size)
param2 = np.linspace(5.0, 550, grid_size)
param3 = np.linspace(1E-8, 10.5, grid_size)
ss = np.zeros(0)

for p1 in param1:
    for p2 in param2:
        for p3 in param3:
            ans = fake_model(data1, data2, p1, p2, p3)

            ss = np.append(ss, np.sum(obs - ans)**2)
            print np.sum(obs - ans)**2