[SciPy-User] scipy.ndimage.measurements.label

Sarah Mount mount.sarah@gmail....
Sun Aug 26 08:58:06 CDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@yale.edu> wrote:
> Is your question what the function does, or how it does it?

How it does it...

> The docstring is I think pretty clear on the former, but you can ask back if you have any specific questions.
>
> As to how that result is generated, the most authoritative answer is to peruse the source code to NI_Label() in
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/ndimage/src/ni_measure.c
>
> Based on a quick look, this appears to be the standard two-pass binary connected-component labeling algorithm ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connected-component_labeling ), generalized to ND, and with the nice feature that the connectivity can be defined by an arbitrary structuring element.

Brilliant. I was ideally looking for a paper which describes the
algorithm and I think there's a couple of good links from the
Wikipedia page you mention above.

Thanks for your help, that was massively useful!

Sarah