[SciPy-User] A unified face for the scipy ecosystem

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Aug 30 14:30:13 CDT 2012

On 29 August 2012 23:40, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
> This is closely related to the idea of "sciome" that we have been discussing
> on the numfocus mailing list for a few months:
> https://groups.google.com/group/numfocus/browse_frm/month/2012-05?pli=1

Thanks Travis. I see we're thinking along very similar lines. Sciome
has a nice ring to it, although as mentioned on the numfocus list
there's the potential for confusion (and trademark issues?) with
sciome.com. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have thought about this,
and I've love to help push it forward.

Almar:
> The way I see it, this standard should be something that distributions can say they are > compliant with, and not more than that. It should remain abstract; you cannot download > it. Therefore I think it should *not* include a coding interface.

That would make perfect sense, except that the interface can affect
the way you share code. We're already seeing people sharing both
demonstration code and real working code as IPython notebook files,
and that will probably increase as the format settles down. It's
important that everyone using the standard can easily exchange code,
although we've got ideas for a website that will aid that by making it
easy to convert between file formats.

Thanks,
Thomas