[SciPy-User] computing f and fprime in one evaluation in scipy.optimize

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Mon Dec 10 10:32:29 CST 2012

Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher <at> gmail.com> writes:
> What is the Jacobian for a CG or BFGS optimization? There are no Jacobian in
this case for non-least square optimization if I'm not mistaken (at least in no
reference that I know of). Shouldn't this be the gradient function?

Yeah, it means the gradient. If you nit-pick enough,
the gradient is the Jacobian of a scalar function.

    Pauli