[SciPy-User] Calling LAPACK function dbdsqr()?

Philip Semanchuk philip@semanchuk....
Fri Dec 14 10:03:11 CST 2012

On Dec 14, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Sturla Molden wrote:

> On 14.12.2012 16:38, Jonathan Helmus wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is portable or is possible on all or even most Scipy
>> installs but I can find a pointer to the LAPACK dbdsqr function in the
>> clapack/flapack shared library using ctypes on my EDP 7.3.1 rh5 install:
>>

>> In [1]: from ctypes import *
>>
>> In [2]: import scipy.linalg
>>
>> In [3]: lib = CDLL(scipy.linalg.lapack.clapack.__file__)
>
> That will not be cross-platform, but depend on ABI for the Fortran
> compiler used on the particular platform. Cross-platform ABI dependency
> is a PITA.
>
> CLAPACK is also abandonware, LAPACKE is the current C/C++ interface.
> Thus with any recent LAPACK, there will be no clapack in SciPy.

Hmmm, well that's disappointing to hear, but better to know now than finding out the hard way later.

Maybe a pure-Python + numpy/scipy solution for this just isn't possible right now.

Tack/Thanks