[SciPy-User] Scikits statuses?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Dec 18 19:07:40 CST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I browsed scikits (http://scikits.appspot.com/scikits) and looking at one
> of the packages I noticed that it's in poor state - project started long
> ago but finished right at it. That give me an idea to try and determine the
> state of available scikits.
>
> I copied text from scikits page and saved it as text file. Then I used
> pypi as reference and results are in this little script:
>   http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/dl.dropbox.com/u/6735093/scikits.ipynb
>
> As a bonus I attached also a bar plot of pypi download counts per package.
>

> Scikits not hosted on pypi, are mainly hosted on scipy.org and versioned
> by subversion:
>
>   delaunay
>   eartho
>   hydroclimpy
>   mlabwrap
>   pymat
>   rsformats
>   scattpy
>   timeseries
>   umfpack
>
> Their status is questionable, and if I'm not wrong all those are released
> years ago, w/o documentation, not even description, neither their names are
> correct.
> Exceptions are timeseries (author abandoned it), and hydroclimpy which
> doesn't look as a scikit to me at all, but universe for itself.
>
> Others, listed by last update (note: two duplicate packages, because of
> naming transition):
>
>   scikit-aero           20121125
>   scikits.odes          20121122
>   scikits.optimization  20121114
>   scikits.fitting       20121029
>   scikit-fmm            20121016
>   scikit-image          20121014
>   scikits-image         20121014
>   scikit-learn          20121008
>   scikits.bvp_solver    20120926
>   scikit-rf             20120925
>   scikits.bootstrap     20120822
>   scikit-vi             20120609
>   scikit-commpy         20120404
>   scikits.learn         20110921
>   scikits.statsmodels   20110824

renamed to statsmodels to drop the namespace package problems
Skipper just asked the question whether it's possible to point appspot to
our new pypi page
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/statsmodels

(easy_install statsmodels actually installs the preliminary 0.5. version
https://github.com/statsmodels/statsmodels/downloads )