[SciPy-User] a bit OT: running 2to3 on examples and docs automatically

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Feb 29 14:36:19 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for a recipe how to run the 2to3 conversion automatically
>> on extra folders, like scripts in docs folder and the examples folder.
>>
>> How are other packages handling this? Where should I look?
>>
>> I just followed scikits.image for adding 2to3 to setup.py for the
>> source, but I didn't see anything about converting the examples.
>

> I don't have an example to point you to, but there's probably not more to it
> then writing a small script that finds all .rst and .txt doc files and runs
> 2to3 on each file with the -d flag. I'd expect examples ending in .py to be
> found already, but if not just find them in your examples folder in that
> same script.

Something like this I thought of doing, but seeing how someone else is
doing it would save some time.

> A comment in the statsmodels setup.py on how to convert with 2to3 might be
> useful, I was expecting to find a call there to a numpy style conversion
> script. I found it in README.txt in the end, but who reads READMEs these
> days?

oops, I didn't read the README.txt either

I just changed the setup.py to run 2to3 automatically, but didn't
think of updating any documentation yet.

Thanks,

Josef