[SciPy-User] splines again - a menagerie ?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Jan 3 21:44:13 CST 2012

I did a bit of a literature search on splines, mainly to get some
overview on its use in statistics.

There are quite a few different versions of splines and I don't have
too much of an idea which is which.

Does anyone now a good reference that gives an overview of different
splines? (So far I only know b-splines since they are in scipy.)

I don't really want to get into the gory details of splines, but I
would like to have a collection of basis functions for different
splines, similar to the polynomials vander functions that Chuck added
or is adding in numpy.  Just something to feed to a (penalized) least
squares estimation.

semi-aside: I just saw for the first time a reference that uses a
polynomial up to a fixed order and then adds spline terms, which looks
like an interesting combination of polynomial and (piecewise) spline
fitting.

Thanks,

Josef