[SciPy-User] FortranFile and large records

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Fri Jan 20 04:25:40 CST 2012

Den 19.01.2012 17:16, skrev Vincent Favre-Nicolin:
>          Hi,
>
>      This week I had to import large data from a Fortran 'record' file.
> For this I naturally used FortranFile
> (http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/FortranIO/FortranFile).

Why? The FortranFile cookbook receipe is based on fundamentally wrong
assumptions. If it works it is by pure accident. I suggest it is removed
from the wiki.

Fortran does not specify a binary layout for record files. It is
implementation dependent.  Consequently, a Fortran record file should be
read by a Fortran program -- compiled with the same Fortran
implementation that was used by the program that wrote the file.

Sturla