[SciPy-User] Linear Interpolation

David Baddeley david_baddeley@yahoo.com...
Wed Jul 18 20:59:46 CDT 2012

how about linear splines - ie using splrep with k=1?

________________________________
 From: Tom Harris <celephicus@gmail.com>
To: scipy-user@scipy.org
Sent: Thursday, 19 July 2012 1:39 PM
Subject: [SciPy-User] Linear Interpolation

Greetings.

I would like some help in linear interpolation. Not in doing the interpolation, but in choosing the points for the interpolation (are these called interpolants?).

I have experimental data that gives y for a few values of x, and while I can get good approximations using scipy's spline functions, I need good linear interpolation points so that I can perform an approximation in code that is run on a tiny embedded system that can only do integer arithmetic. I have been using a fairly inadequate method of choosing my linear interpolation points: simply putting points on the splined curve and adding points at the point of greatest error until the error reduces to a low enough value. But there has got to be a better way. Do people simply not bother with linear interpolation and go straight to splines?

--

Tom Harris <celephicus@gmail.com>