[SciPy-User] KDTree IndexError

DParker@chromallo... DParker@chromallo...
Fri Jul 20 14:24:50 CDT 2012

Yes but the mailing list bounced back the email with the data attached due
to size so I've emailed the file directly to you.

I have two examples - one that works and one that causes a failure.

Some info on the data:
        Good            Bad
        Min     Max     Min     Max
X       -0.0551 0.0569  0.0610  0.0911
Y       -0.0540 0.0350  -0.0586 0.0185
Z       1.0589  1.0702  0.9121  1.0624

I'll add that in the original script where I first encountered the KDTree
failure there was some pre-processing of the data before building the
KDTree: converting units, sorting the coordinates. I've recently
eliminated all of the pre-processing and I still encountered the same
failure.

David G. Parker

From:   Oleksandr Huziy <guziy.sasha@gmail.com>
To:     SciPy Users List <scipy-user@scipy.org>
Date:   07/20/2012 01:02 PM
Subject:        Re: [SciPy-User] KDTree IndexError
Sent by:        scipy-user-bounces@scipy.org

Hi,

is it possible to have x2,y2,z2 to test it?

Thanks
--
Oleksandr Huziy

2012/7/20 <DParker@chromalloy.com>
I'm using scipy.spatial.KDTree (version 0.10.1) to perform nearest
neighbor interpolation. Recently I've encountered an error when defining a
KDTree from certain sets of data. I have not been able to determine what
is unique about these data sets and the traceback doesn't provide much of
a clue to me. I was hoping someone might be familiar with the problem and
provide some insight into what is causing the failure, what to look for in
my data set, and how to avoid the failure.

The code which generates the traceback is:
tree = KDTree(zip(x2,y2,z2))

where x2, y2, and z2 are numpy arrays dtype float64. For one particular
data set which fails these have a length of 157,237, shape is (157237,).

As I said above I don't know what is unusual about the data that causes
the failure to occur. The traceback is copied below:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<input>", line 75, in interactivemode
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\fluenttools\profile.py", line 740,
in commonnodes
    tree = KDTree(zip(x2,y2,z2))
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\spatial\kdtree.py", line 174,
in __init__
    self.tree = self.__build(np.arange(self.n), self.maxes, self.mins)
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\spatial\kdtree.py", line 238,
in __build
    self.__build(idx[less_idx],lessmaxes,mins),

{Prior two lines repeated 974 times}

  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\spatial\kdtree.py", line 201,
in __build
    data = self.data[idx]
IndexError: index must be either an int or a sequence

David G. Parker