[SciPy-User] Spyder-Ubuntu 12.04 problem with SciPy 0.11.0rc1

Virgil Stokes vs@it.uu...
Sun Jul 22 03:15:38 CDT 2012

On 22-Jul-2012 09:14, Scott Sinclair wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2012 1:19 PM, "Virgil Stokes" <vs@it.uu.se <mailto:vs@it.uu.se>> wrote:
> >
> > I installed SciPy 0.11.0rc1 on an Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) platform with what
> > seemed to be no problems.
> > However, when I ran Spyder it still was using SciPy 0.10.1. I then tried to
> > uninstall SciPy completely using
> >
> >   >pip uninstall SciPy
> >
> > which again seemed to be ok. But, now I was unable to execute Spyder! I tried
> > several times to uninstall and reinstall Spyder but I am stuck with no
> > possibility to run Spyder. I get no error; but, clicking in this application in
> > Ubuntu 12.04 seems to be ignored.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to how to recover Spyder and how to get SciPy running again
> > would be appreciated.
>
> I don't know about Spyder (I don't use it and you haven't given much
> information about how you tried to un/reinstall it). I suspect it was via the
> package manager?

Yes, the first time that I installed it was via the package manager, and it
worked as expected.

> Did you run pip uninstall with sudo?

I tried both with pip and via the package manager. When this didn't work I also
removed all references to Spyder.

> What happens when you run:
>
> python -c "import scipy; print scipy.__version__; print scipy"
>
> at the command line?

root@virgil-laptop:/home/virgil# python -c "import scipy;print
scipy.__version__;print scipy"
0.10.1
<module 'scipy' from '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scipy/__init__.pyc'>

> If you get an import error for scipy try reinstalling python-scipy from the
> package manager.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

Ok thanks Scott for your assistance with this problem.

Note, I have tried several different methods to uninstall/install Spyder (e.g.
package manager and pip) but I still never get the Spyder splash window :-(