[SciPy-User] ANN: Veusz 1.16

Jerry lanceboyle@qwest....
Mon Jul 23 03:30:17 CDT 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 1:20 AM, Jeremy Sanders wrote:

> Veusz 1.16
> ----------
> http://home.gna.org/veusz/
>
> Veusz is a Qt4 based scientific plotting package. It is written in
> Python, using PyQt4 for display and user-interfaces, and numpy for
> handling the numeric data. Veusz is designed to produce
> publication-ready Postscript/PDF/SVG output. The user interface aims
> to be simple, consistent and powerful.
>
> Veusz provides a GUI, command line, embedding and scripting interface
> (based on Python) to its plotting facilities. It also allows for
> manipulation and editing of datasets. Data can be captured from
> external sources such as Internet sockets or other programs.

Veusz is an unusually good spin on interactive 2D plotters. It handles the seemingly endless clicking-around that is endemic to getting and managing decent plots better than any other plotter that I've tried, with the _possible_ exception of Igor Pro (a 500+ USD programming package). I hope to write a better review some day but for now, I'll just say, thanks, Jeremy!

Jerry