[SciPy-User] Multiprocessing in optimize.leastsq?

Andreas Hilboll lists@hilboll...
Tue Jul 24 06:48:34 CDT 2012

I wrote a script which calls optimize.leastsq in a for loop. The script is
running on a machine with 24 CPU cores (Gentoo Linux 64bit). Now in htop,
I can see one python process which in turn has 24 child processes, all of
them running at between 0 and 100% CPU.

I don't quite understand the origin of the 24 child processes. Is leastsq
using some OpenMP parallelization automatically? If so: How can I
influence how many child processes will be started?

Thanks for your insight,
Andreas.