[SciPy-User] Classification using neural networks

Nuttall, Brandon C bnuttall@uky....
Wed Jul 25 13:47:15 CDT 2012

Folks,

I am looking for a method to do rock type identification using geophysical log data acquired from oil and gas wells. The geophysical log data are continuous recordings of a variety of bulk rock properties that change with the type and abundance of mineral constituents. What I want to do is classify the rock types (limestone, sandstone, shale, dolomite, etc) and their relative percentages. I remember reading an earlier SCIPY post about a neural network module that used training datasets to establish a classification scheme and then was run against unknown data. But, I can't find the post and don't remember the module name. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Brandon Nuttall, KRPG-1364
Kentucky Geological Survey
www.uky.edu/kgs