[SciPy-User] Classification using neural networks

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Thu Jul 26 11:26:55 CDT 2012

Den 26.07.2012 09:04, skrev Gael Varoquaux:

> Well, it has a perceptron implementation:
> http://scikit-learn.org/dev/modules/generated/sklearn.linear_model.Perceptron.html
> but not any multilayer-perceptron[*]. Thus, I don't really think that we can
> claim that we have neural-network. That said, they are so 1990's :)

Yeah, it seems that SVMs are more fashionable than ANNs these days. I
don't know why that is, SVMs are slow to train and use, and I have yet
to see that they out-perform an ANN. Perhaps it's because the latest
edition of Numerical Receipes favour them over AANs, because SVMs
supposedly are more transparent and easier to understand (I beg to
differ). Multilayer ANNs trained with Levenberg-Marquardt and error
backpropagation are among the most powerful non-linear regression and
classification tools there are. And by the way, SciPy already has an
LM-engine to train one (scipy.optimize.leastsq), all it takes is the
code to compute the Jacobian by backpropagation.

Sturla