[SciPy-User] mailing list etiquette [Was: Re: nan handling by scipy.optimize]

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Thu Jul 26 12:39:04 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> 2012/7/26 Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com>:
>> Are there list etiquette suggestions posted anywhere? Out of office
>> replies to mailing lists are one of my pet peeves. I think we all
>> receive enough e-mail, wanted and otherwise.
>
> Not sure what good posting etiquette suggestions would do... these
> people are using buggy software to send spam. (Accidentally, but
> still.) I think pretty much everyone knows that's a bad idea, they're
> just oblivious. The traditional vacation program has extensive checks
> built in to ensure that oblivious people won't create this kind of
> nonsense:
>   http://man.cx/vacation%281%29
> but sadly this wisdom has been lost.
>
> Honestly the best solution is probably for the list admins to kick
> anyone who sends a vacation message off the list. Then their vacation
> messages will start bouncing and they can re-subscribe when they get
> back.

Right. This is the solution I'd like. Just thought it a good idea to
have etiquette posted somewhere stating that this action would be
taken in the event the suggestions are ignored.

Skipper