[SciPy-User] Least-squares fittings with bounds: why is scipy not up to the task?

Eric Emsellem eemselle@eso....
Thu Mar 8 17:12:17 CST 2012

Dear Gael

thanks for the feedback.

Well yes, I thought of the fact that an email (with all the drawbacks of
such a medium) may not be the right way, and that my message may be
misinterpreted. I obviously didn't mean to be offensive here. I am one
of the biggest fan of python et al., open source in general etc, and I
try to contribute whenever I can with my very limited expertise (I
recently opened a github account and am still fighting to finalised my
badly-written package to release it in case it could be useful to anyone).

I believe it is fine to react as you did, because it does at least show
that people care (seeing the bright side).  I apologize: if I offended
you, I probably offended others. This was definitely not my initial
intent. And I was, for sure, not condescending, by very very far, as
again I am impressed by what has been achieved (I did use python at a
time when most modules were very buggy or hard to handle, and you had to
tweak your system to make it work at all, not talking about early
version of e.g. linux distribs).

I am  putting energy (at my own, very modest, level) to have more users
of e.g., python. This means organising tutorials and providing advice
when relevant. I try to do that as much as I can.

The question about a leastsq I relayed is often what I hear from
non-experts when looking at what is available. I always first try to
look for an easy solution, to convince them that something like that
exists, or that you can solve the problem anyway. In the specific case I
describe, I didn't find a way out (besides using the very useful
implementation of mpfit!). I do believe that, considering the amazing
amount of extensive development in scipy and related packages, such a
routine should be available and directly linked with the main, big,
packages. This was basically my two cents (probably badly toned) to
trigger a reaction. I did for sure get one, but not the one I expected.
So once more: apologies to all I may have offended.

Let's see where this goes now. I see that there is a lmfit package
(thanks Matt for the input!). I'll have a look at this asap and try to
test it on my own minimisation problem. I do think that having a
well-tested module integrated within scipy would be a big plus. Apart
from testing these on my specific problems, I cannot offer much
considering my limited expertise (in programming and maths).

cheers
Eric