[SciPy-User] Contributing to SciPy was Re: Least-squares fittings with bounds: why is scipy not up to the task?

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Sat Mar 10 12:32:47 CST 2012

10.03.2012 19:16, josef.pktd@gmail.com kirjoitti:
[clip]
> I think it would be useful to have a central location for publishing
> code and get earlier feedback from users. (Currently I bookmark, for
> example,  gists or modules in a random package, that look interesting
> and I might not find again when I need them in future.)
>
> I'm still envious of the matlab fileexchange with a very useful
> commenting system where I look more often than at scipy-central, and I
> like the commenting system on stackoverflow that gives a much faster
> way of evaluating several ways of doing things.
>
> I also think Mathworks and Statacorp are very smart in supporting user
> code, since (I assume) that they look at the download statistic to see
> what is in high demand and might incorporate code if it's license
> compatible.

I think this is pretty much the position scipy-central tries to fill. As
far as I understand, what you say that is missing is

- more advertisement

- comment system

The former can be fixed. The latter requires someone to sit down and
think how to implement it --- but it shouldn't be too difficult, as the
app [1] is written with Django and seems pretty easy to work on. If
someone familiar with web applications wants to give a hand here, this
would be an opportunity to contribute.

[1] https://github.com/kgdunn/SciPyCentral/

--
Pauli Virtanen