[SciPy-User] Layering a virtualenv over EPD

Chris Withers chris@simplistix.co...
Sat Mar 10 16:09:49 CST 2012

Hi All,

I hope this is the right list.

So, here's the problem I'm facing: I use EPD as my base python, but I
have a bunch of projects that all have additional dependencies. For
example, I may want to use a version of Pandas that's newer than the one
that ships with my chosen version of EPD, and add some additional
libraries that don't ship with EPD.

Okay, so I worry that the advice may be "well just install stuff into
EPD with pip or easy_install". I don't want to do that, just because I
need a newer version of Pandas for one project, doesn't mean I want to
have to make sure *all* my projects work with that new version, etc.

So, I tried to wrap a virtualenv around epd:

epd-python virtualenv.py mytestenv

...and then install new pandas and other stuff:

mytestenv/bin/python easy_install -U pandas

...but now, how would I start ipython using that virutalenv?

I tried just running "ipython", but of course, that doesn't include the
virtualenv.

I tried activating the virtualenv and then running ipython, but it still
doesn't include anything installed in the virtualenv.

So, how should I do this?

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk