[SciPy-User] Layering a virtualenv over EPD

Chris Withers chris@simplistix.co...
Sat Mar 10 16:40:33 CST 2012

On 10/03/2012 14:22, Robert Kern wrote:
>> So, here's the problem I'm facing: I use EPD as my base python, but I
>> have a bunch of projects that all have additional dependencies.
>
> Questions about EPD should go to epd-users@enthought.com

Well, okay, but this is a more generic question that seems to face a lot
of SciPy users: "I want to layer some stuff on top of a binary install
of the scipy stuff, without poluting that base layer", that base layer
being EPD, OS-installed packages, etc...

>> ...but now, how would I start ipython using that virutalenv?
>>
>> I tried just running "ipython", but of course, that doesn't include the
>> virtualenv.
>
> You need to install IPython in your virtualenv.

Okay, but how do I do that without having to build the whole of ipython
myself? How do I say "just let me run ipython (or any of the other
binary tools that are in scipy) with a virtual env wrapped over it?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk